Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bear Republic Brewing Company - Racer 5 IPA


Nestled in Heraldsburg, California, resides Bear Republic Brewing Company, creator of the award winning, Racer 5 IPA. This IPA pours a very light bronze with a small-frothy head that is one finger in height. This beer has impressive clarity imparting a welcoming brightness. After multiple sips, there are minor lacings that coat the interior of the tulip glass.
The smell of the Racer 5 is very aromatic. Both grapefruit and orange citrus notes dominate the aroma. Delving into the aroma further, the 4 C's - Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Columbus - add a contrasting complexity. Finally, there is a malt sweetness that works very well with the abundance of hop varieties.
The Racer 5 IPA has a crisp and rich taste profile. Citrus notes of grapefruit and orange burst, but quickly dissipate into the second phase of tasting. This second phase was slightly dry with a touch of piney resin that was quite delectable. This lingering dryness swept over the back of my palate creating desire to quench my thirst, which I did again, and again, and again.
Bear Republic's website describes the Racer 5 IPA as, "full bodied beer brewed with American pale and crystal malts...", but I disagree. I found this IPA to be lighter than characterization on the website. It was medium bodied with a very nice level of carbonation.
I have had this beer so many times that I have lost count on the actual number. It is one of my favorite American IPA's with its amazing balance of hop character and malt sweetness; it is truly delicious. At 7.0% ABV, it is a little high for a sessionable beer, but I don't care. It is a great beer for any occasion. Try it and find out for yourself!

Cheers,
PandaMack

No comments:

Post a Comment